Global Air Freshener Market was valued at $10 billion in 2016 and is expected to reach $12 billion by 2023. And why not? We all prefer a nice smelling home because a good fragrance is naturally upliftings. For that, we spend a lot of money on perfumed liquids to spray or hang in our bedrooms, bathrooms or even cars.
However, sometimes it’s a little too harsh, and some people even complain that the fragrance does not last long enough. Also, we have limited options to choose from.
So to overcome all these issues, we came up with the idea to grow indoor plants that are naturally fragrant. It would save you time and money and it is also eco-friendly as we eliminate the harmful sprays from the environment.
Below are some options for indoor plants would make your room smell like a god’s personal garden.
- Lavender: One of the most common fragrances that resemble the one you get in air fresheners. It is more like a shrub and the flowers are long in pink or purple in colour with dark green leaves. It’s soothing and relaxing smell makes you calm and even help you sleep at night. It’s best kept in a bedroom near the window. The soil should be most so you need to water it in the morning and you’re good to go.
- Tea Rose Begonia: These tender blooms are light pink in colour and a perfect fit for your bedroom. The flowers help you relax, both when you inhale them and when they’re just around. The soil for these beauties needs to be moist and well drained and they do not need much sun either. You can even hang them in a pot and they’ll look just as good.
- Jasmine: These are small flowers which are white in colour. It is a very popular flower around the world, especially in India because it is considered to be holy. They are also worn in hair in the south because of its pure white petals and tropical fragrance. These flowers bloom at night and are also called ‘raat ki rani’ or ‘chameli’ commonly. They are best kept in filtered light and moist soil, making them an indoor plant for your living room.
- Gardenia (Gandharaj): In France, Gardenia is the traditional flower which men wear as boutonnières. It is not fairly easy to grow and this delicate flower requires some extra care. You’d need pre manured soil for its seedling but it may still take a while to grow. If the leaves are shiny and dark green, you’re doing everything right. Just keep it near a window because it requires ample of sunlight but when the little white flowers bloom, it’d be worth all the effort.
- Frangipani: This is either white, yellow or red in colour. Generally, the flower is 2-5 inches wide and has a gentle and mild fragrance. This one requires a lot of sunlight, at least 6 hours so it’s best kept in direct sun for its flower to bloom properly. The best place would be your drawing room in a spot of constant sun. The plant has dark green leaves and should be watered once every day in the morning.
Find all these plants, and a thousand more at the 14th International Flora Expo from 22nd – 24th February 2019 at Pune.